Tuesday 25 December 2018

Afghanistan: first country on the UN list!

Predictably, what I know about Afghanistan is summed up in headlines like France24’s Christmas 2018 item: Gunmen storm government building in Afghan capital, dozens dead. It’s very difficult to get past such news, and it would be offensive to ignore the endless violence of the ongoing civil war. Even here, it’s difficult, because it’s about much more than radical Islam. It takes time to dig deeper, and headline news reading is just the thing in our instant society.

Even the local news agencies like Pajhwok Afghan News strike a similar note, but at least they take us past the two-dimensional reporting that consigns certain countries and societies to the refuse heap of history. As I pray for this country, here are some of the alternative narratives that I would like to embrace:

Alongside the ongoing discrimination against girls in Afghan education, there are stories of a shifting centre of gravity:

Now of course I could provide an alternative list, of schools torched, of teachers threatened, of girls excluded and of scholarship programmes which further the ends of male-dominated education. But doing this has made me wonder whether where I focus my attention might constitute an element of hope, and faith. Certainly, it changes the tenor of my prayer.

I could go on with a load of other categories, but 'reconstruction' was another fruitful field, with the Italian entry being unexpected (and revealing my prejudice about the current state of Italian governance!)


The other sobering thought that occurred to me, and does regularly, is how much the current state of Afghanistan has been caused by imperial pretensions, British, Russian, Pakistani, and now Far Eastern. We play games with weak and struggling countries, and then shake our heads and tut when the politics explodes in our faces. So my final prayer for Afghanistan is that those who invest in it might do so out of humility, compassion, and a desire for peace. Happy Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Adrian and Jill Chatfield's Christmas letter 2021

The year started a little inauspiciously, as Jill had broken her knee in a freak bicycle accident in late November 2020. She was given the c...